Indoor Air Quality in Commercial Buildings

The research findings are clear. Indoor air quality is a huge factor in the health and well being of building occupants.

The average American spends 60% to 90% of his or her time indoors and while a lot of attention has been given to the effects of outside pollution, the EPA estimates that indoor air contaminants be as much as 50 times worse. A main contributor: leaky ductwork.

Leaky Ducts and Indoor Air Quality?

There are two main ways that leaky ductwork plays a major role in creating poor indoor air quality: First, leaks in the return duct allow contaminants from one part of the building to be sucked into the duct system and then spread throughout the rest of the facility.

Second, leaks in the ventilation shaft reduce the effectiveness of the exhaust fans used to suck dirty and stale air out of the building. This can cause mold and mildew issues which leads to further IAQ deterioration.

An easy Indoor Air Quality Solution.

Now, improving the indoor air quality of your building can be a simple and cost-effective process.

Aeroseal works from the inside of the ducts to locate and seal the leaks that cause poor IAQ. No tearing down walls or stripping off insulation. Often times, multi-floor buildings are Aerosealed from top to bottom without disruption to the occupants or normal operation of the businesses inside.

Proven to Solve IAQ Problems.

Aeroseal eliminated more than 90% of the duct leaks at the J.W. Marriott Hotel in Atlanta, GA. The vent shafts within the 23-story luxury skyscraper were sealed without a single guest aware that the project was taking place.


Please Contact Aspen Air Duct Cleaning at 1-800-931-6653 for professional air duct and dryer vent inspection, cleaning, and repair. Or email

Please contact Aspen Environmental Services for mold testing and removal at (978) 681-5023. Or email


10 Examples of Dryer Vent Fires

May Is Building Safety Month and with That in Mind We’d Like to Remind You to Clean Your Dryer Vents and Avoid a Fire Catastrophe Like the Ones Described Below.


10 Examples of Dryer Vent Fires

Early Morning Home Fire – Bradford County Telegraph (6/26/2009)

WORTHINGTON SPRINGS, FL – A mobile home in Worthington Springs was destroyed by an early morning fire.  Union County volunteer fire fighters from Worthington Springs and The Groves responded to the fire.  Neighboring Alachua County’s LaCrosse Fire Department also arrived on the scene to provide extra water to douse the fire.  None of the family members who resided in the rental home were injured, but virtually everything inside was lost.  The fire marshal’s office reported  the fire originated in the dryer venting hose that was clogged with lint and ignited during operation of the dryer. These hoses should be checked and kept free of lint build-up on a regular basis.

Child Awakens Family to Overnight Fire – Great Falls Tribune (7/31/2009)

LEXINGTON, KY – A little girl’s quick thinking may have saved the lives of her family members during an early Friday morning fire.  The fire broke out in the dryer of their home in Lexington.  Little McKenzie Florence woke up to use the restroom, noticed the fire and went to wake up her mom.  The laundry room of the house has extensive damage with heavy smoke damage throughout the home.  Two pets survived, but one cat died.

Fire Guts Stockett House, but Woman Escapes – Great Falls Tribune (7/27/2009)

STOCKETT, MT – Fire gutted a house, camper and minivan in Stockett after 8 a.m. Monday morning.  Owner Nancy Walker escaped with her two dogs and three cats, but three snakes left behind might have perished.  A fire in a dryer is believed to be the cause of the fire, which attracted firefighters from the Stockett, Sand Coulee, Black Eagle and Malmstrom fire departments.

Clothes Dryer to Blame for Early Morning House Fire – By Bethany Tucker – KSBY Channel 6 NBC Action News (7/27/2009)

SANTA MARIA, CA – Fire crews spent the early morning hours battling a house fire in Santa Maria.  Firefighters responded to a fire on the 1400 block of Claremont Street at about 1:30 a.m. Monday.  When they arrived, officials say they found a two-car garage fully engulfed in flames.  The residents of the home were able to get out of the house safely.  Fire investigators believe a clothes dryer is to blame for the fire.  The home suffered $120,000 worth of damage.

Indian River County Firefighters Douse Dryer Fire – Vero Beach Press-Journal (7/15/2009)

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY, FL – Firefighters doused a dryer fire and rescued a cat from a smoky home Tuesday night.  The fire happened about 8:30 p.m. in the dryer in a rear room of the home, Indian River County Fire Marshal Brian Nolan said.  Firefighters kept the blaze contained to the appliance itself, but the fire filled the home with smoke, he said.  Firefighters removed a cat from the home and determined it hadn’t been adversely affected by the smoke, Nolan said.


ELFD Responds to Dryer Fire – By Michael D. McElwain – The East Liverpool Review (7/15/2009)

EAST LIVERPOOL, OH – Members of the city’s Water Department noticed a problem at a West Fourth Street duplex and potentially saved the home from greater fire damage, according to the interim fire chief.  “The Water Department workers noticed something and quickly called it in and saved a lot of damage to the structure,” East Liverpool Fire Department Chief Bill Jones said.  “We encountered what was basically a dryer fire,” Jones said.  Jones said the preliminary indication is lint buildup in the unvented drier caused some lint to ignite.  Smoke spread throughout the duplex and that’s what drew the attention of city Water Department employees.  Jones said smoke, heat and fire damage occurred in the kitchen area of the residence.

Officials: Clothes Dryer Ignites Blaze – By Jeff Murray – Elmira Star-Gazette (7/12/2009)

ELMIRA, NY – Two Elmira families are homeless after flames damaged their Westside apartment house.  The fire started in the back of the house, and investigators determined it was ignited by a clothes dryer, according to Deputy Elmira Fire Chief Dan Sincock.  Firefighters were able to knock down the blaze within about 15 minutes of their arrival, Sincock said, but not before the back of the house sustained substantial fire, smoke and water damage, especially on the first floor.

Boonville Mobile Home Fire – WTVW (7/8/2009)

BOONVILLE, IN – An overheated dryer may be the cause of a mobile home fire in Boonville.  Fire crews were called out around 5 Tuesday evening.  They say the family was inside when the fire started — but everyone got out unharmed.  The family says they were planning to move and had stored a bunch of boxes in the utility room and that likely fueled the fire.  The home is a total loss.

Family Escapes Early Morning Fire – Las Vegas Sun (6/30/2009)

HENDERSON, NV – An early morning house fire in Henderson has displaced a family of six, but all of them escaped without injuries, according to the Henderson Fire Department.  The dryer ignited materials nearby in the laundry room and spread up the wall and into the attic, Lytle said.  The house had heavy fire damage to the laundry room and to the attic with significant smoke damage throughout the residence.  Damage was estimated at $150,000, Jeff Lytle of the Henderson Fire Department said.

Fire Displaces Family – Utica Observer Dispatch (6/27/2009)

BOONVILLE, NY – A fire in a family’s dryer Saturday afternoon will displace them for a couple of days.  Boonville Fire Chief Dave Pritchard said the fire spread into the cellar of the two-story home.  Pritchard said the owner of the home, Danielle Douglas, her boyfriend and their two kids were outside when they noticed smoke coming from the chimney.  Firefighters knocked down the blaze in about 20 minutes, but Pritchard said the fire damaged electrical wires and the breaker panel to the house.  He estimated the damage at about $10,000.

Please Contact Aspen Air Duct Cleaning at 1-800-931-6653 for professional air duct and dryer vent inspection, cleaning, and repair. Or email

Stay Safe!